Monday, April 2, 2007

Let's break down some numbers...my analysis.

By all means, please feel free to make comments as you see fit so long as they are productive in nature. I'd like to hear what people out there think or what they would like to hear more of from this blog. Today, however, I'd like to offer my analysis of the current situation in the application process to medical school. Granted, using old numbers to predict the future does not guarantee similar results; however, looking at patterns can help you tremendously. It's funny. You'll see that medicine is all about "trends" and "patterns". Soon, you'll become concerned with a patients' blood sugar patterns or their cholesterol trends. So the same goes for applications to medical school. They are "cyclical" if you will. There are up years and down years for applications. Sometime in the not so distant past, applications were as high as 45,000 for roughly 16,000 spots. That number doesn't include DO schools mind you. Forty five divided by sixteen gives you 2.8. So, roughly one-in-three applicants actually enrolled. Now, the numbers are slightly down. In 2005, that number declined to 37,000 applicants for the same number of spots (roughly). That is almost one-out-of-two. Not too bad. But why?? Why did the numbers drop? Part of the reason is the cyclical nature of the application process. Other factors include the current malpractice climate, decreasing salaries of physicians, a broken system, whatever. Now is a good time to apply to medical school - the numbers are in your favor. Also, I'd like to add that DO schools (and Caribbean schools as well) are cyclical in nature too. I've seem to have lost track of how many DO spots a year there are now because I can't keep up with the tremendous growth of osteopathic schools in this country! They are growing like weeds! No matter - your chances for admission are probably at its peak right now. Looking at recent past trends and depending on what happens to health care in the next 4 years will ultimately determine whether the number of applicants goes up or down. You tend to see a reverse cyclical trend with business schools. What I mean is that when medical school applications are down, business school apps are increasing. Again, there are factors involved that I won't go into, but the point I'm trying to make has been made. Follow the cycles, but don't necessarily let them dictate when you apply. If you are a strong candidate, it doesn't matter so much whether you apply in an up year or a down year. You'll probably get in somewhere either way.

4 comments:

teddygraham540 said...

Hi im a second year at ucsd and of course I am currently on the premed track. I have a bunch of random questions floating around in my head:

1) I didnt really get serious about grades until last quarter but so far my gpa is about a 3.5. I am wondering how badly does a c in intro ochem look to admissions people? Do A+'s have much effect?

2) Can acceptance into a good med school be plausible on just a good gpa and mcat score alone, meaning no extra cirrc/ research/volunterr work?

3)What exactly is on the Mcat. I know that there is a writing sec thats basically a harder sat comp sec, Physics, OCHEM,... what kind of bio is there? Also is introductory physics sufficient for mcat phys questions?

4) What is Med school life like? Is the workload too draining or do you have enough free time to do other activities?

Ben said...

Thanks for this! It helps a lot!

DOClass2007 said...

I appreciate your series of questions. First, I'll address your organic chem question. Med School admissions folks know that o-chem is hard. They expect you to struggle. Granted, you must do your best and a C won't kill your chances at most places. You WILL and should make up for it with good grades in your other classes and on the MCAT. A+'s help that much more! A "good" med school is hard to define. My school, an osteopathic school, is a GOOD school by my definition. So, if you follow my definition, no they are not REQUIRED so long as you have STELLAR grades and a GREAT MCAT score. Otherwise, you better polish up that resume! Granted, no matter what grades/scores you have, you SHOULD have a well-rounded application. THAT IS YOUR BEST CHANCE! The MCAT is kind of a bogus exam in my opinion. Having gone through med school, nothing is on the MCAT. You'll never use general biology, chemistry, physics, or O-chem. You just won't! They do it to standardize the process - to make it LOOK FAIR. Truth is there is NO CORRELATION between the MCAT and boards. I'm proof of that! I know other classmates that are proof as well! Considering I took the MCAT five years ago, I'm not the best person to ask specific test questions because I'm sure the test has changed by now. Medical school is challenging. I'm not gonna sugar coat it. Your first year is the hardest. The amount of information you must retain is ridiculous! It's harder than undergrad I'll tell you that. I'll answer the question about free time like this - you make free time. You have to. There is no other way I can explain it. You sacrifice study time for exercise time, play time, etc. It's a lot of hard work becoming a doctor. I hope this helps.

Unknown said...

Hey i am in last year biomed engineering but i have 60% average, but i really scored well in mcats, would i be able to get into any medical schools?