Sunday, April 8, 2007

MCAT prep - Part II

Here is my analysis of what resources you should use according to previous experience, discussing with friends who have 35 and 36 MCATs, and my overall impression of what is good and what is not. First of all, I think a Kaplan MCAT question book is essential. I'd start working through these questions about a month before your exam. Gradually advance your testing by timing your exams as you get further into the book. Next, use the Exam Krackers series. I used the verbal reasoning and I thought it seemed to help me prepare, even though I didn't do as well as my friends. They, too, however, used this resource and found it helpful. There is a complete set of books, which is nice. If you have the means, I'd get the whole set. If you had to pick just one, I'd get the verbal reasoning. I also like the Kaplan MCAT book. I think it is pretty complete and offers you tons of information in one nice location. I'd like to recommend that you take a review class. Kaplan offer a nice class. I didn't do it, but I know people who did and found it helpful. It can be pricey - like $2,000. But if you REALLY want to get into medical school, it's worth it! I hope this concise list of references will be helpful for you. It should serve as a guide to help you decide which resources are worth the money and which ones aren't. Take care.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did you get a chance to review Dr. Flowers MCAT? Dr. Flowers write the original MCAT prep manual in the 1970's, then published a book through PR. Last year, he released a fully computerized e-learning system. If you write to them, they provide 48 hr access to trial users.