Thursday, April 5, 2007

Osteopathic Medicine

Osteopathic Medicine was founded by Andrew Taylor Still, a M.D. surgeon who fought in the civil war. He thought there had to be a "better way" to care for his patients. Through his investigations and study, he found that the body is a system of inter-related organs and incorporated this philosophy as the foundation of osteopathy today. Osteopathic schools differ from their allopathic (M.D.) counterparts in two distinct ways. One, they view the body as a whole - a system of inter-related systems that reside in a harmonious balance with one another. Two, through their knowledge of the musculoskeletal system, osteopathic physicians are masters at using osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM). This is similar to chiropractic, but don't tell a DO that they are a chiropractor. We believe that when then body is misaligned and "somatic dysfunction" is present, the body doesn't function optimally and vice versa.

D.O.'s are fully licensed physicians and surgeons and are represented in nearly every medical specialty. They CAN incorporate OMM as a part of the therapy. It is taught in D.O. medical schools that OMM is used along with conventional therapies such as drugs and surgery. It is a common misconception that manipulation is all that they know how to do. That is false. It is sad, but many pre-med students are unfamiliar with Osteopathic Medicine. In the United States, the D.O. degree is considered to be equal and equivalent to the MD degree. There are osteopathic medical schools all of the country and more are popping up almost yearly. And like I said before, they practice in every medical specialty - anesthesiology, radiology, orthopedic surgery, etc. Their level of compensation is exactly that of their M.D. counterparts, so they are in no way "inferior" to M.D.'s. The average accepted student has a 3.5 gpa and a 25-26 MCAT - on par with most M.D. "state" schools!

Here is a listing of the osteopathic schools in this country courtesy of the AACOM:
1.)A.T. Still University - Mesa
2.)A.T. Still University - Kirksville (the founding school)
3.)Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
4.)Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
5.)Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
6.)Kansas City University College of Osteopathic Medicine
7.)Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
8.)Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton
9.)Lincoln Memorial University College of Osteopathic Medicine
10.)Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
11.)Nova Southeastern College of Osteopathic Medicine
12.)New York College of Osteopathic Medicine - NYIT
13.)Oklahoma State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
14.)Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine
15.)Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
16.)Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine - Georgia campus
17.)Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine - Kentucky
18.)Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York
19.)Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - California
20.)Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - Nevada
21.)UMDNJ - New Jersey College of Osteopathic Medicine
22.)University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine
23.)University of North Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
24.)Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Virginia Tech
25.)Western University College of Osteopathic Medicine - COM of the Pacific
26.)West Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine

Please visit the AACOM website here for more information!

Considering I'm graduating from a D.O. school this year, I am available to answer questions about the type of education I received. I am really thankful to have had the opportunity to attend a D.O. School. Looking back, I'm glad I went to osteopathic medical school instead of the allopathic route. I wouldn't ever trade those experiences for the title "M.D." over my "D.O." I'm proud to be a D.O. So, please feel free to ask questions. I am here to help.

5 comments:

Rebecca23 said...

I am currently an undergrad wanting to apply to medical school (D.O.) soon. I found that your blogs has helped alleviate some of my worries. Anyway, I am stressing about the MCAT. I took an MCAT course last summer and planned to take it in August, unfortunately, I freaked out because my scores on the mock exams were poor. Now I find myself freaking out again because I have to take it soon. Do you have any advice on how I should study for it this summer? (I will also be taking summer school)

DOClass2007 said...

First of all, thanks for visiting my site! I appreciate it. Ok...I, too, am a notoriously bad test-taker. One thing I learned in med school was to settle down and not panic. Realize that this test does not make you...or break you. You need to go into it as cool as possible. By preparing and studying, you can go into the exam as relaxed as possible, so you can get the best score possible. The MCAT is a difficult exam to predict. I remember leaving feeling bad and I did bad. I remember leaving feeling good (or better) and I still did bad. Just because you don't score highly on the exam doesn't mean you'll make a bad doctor and surely it won't necessarily keep you out of medical school if that is what you really want! I would dedicate as much time as you can to preparing for it. Take practice exams. Then review some more. Make note cards. Do what you need to "feel" prepared, because once you "feel" like you've put in good effort, go into the test with that nothing-to-lose attitude and you'll be surprised. I'd shoot for reviewing material 8 hours a day (if that's possible) and as you draw closer to the day of them exam, wean your reviewing and in place of it, I'd do more and more practice questions. Then, by the last few weeks, strictly do TIMED practice exams. That's your best shot! Hope that helps!

DOClass2007 said...

First of all, thanks for visiting my site! I appreciate it. Ok...I, too, am a notoriously bad test-taker. One thing I learned in med school was to settle down and not panic. Realize that this test does not make you...or break you. You need to go into it as cool as possible. By preparing and studying, you can go into the exam as relaxed as possible, so you can get the best score possible. The MCAT is a difficult exam to predict. I remember leaving feeling bad and I did bad. I remember leaving feeling good (or better) and I still did bad. Just because you don't score highly on the exam doesn't mean you'll make a bad doctor and surely it won't necessarily keep you out of medical school if that is what you really want! I would dedicate as much time as you can to preparing for it. Take practice exams. Then review some more. Make note cards. Do what you need to "feel" prepared, because once you "feel" like you've put in good effort, go into the test with that nothing-to-lose attitude and you'll be surprised. I'd shoot for reviewing material 8 hours a day (if that's possible) and as you draw closer to the day of them exam, wean your reviewing and in place of it, I'd do more and more practice questions. Then, by the last few weeks, strictly do TIMED practice exams. That's your best shot! Hope that helps!

Unknown said...

Hi,

I just wanna say that I am glad I found your blog. I am really interested in applying to DO school and reading your blog helped take away some of my worries.

I have a question: since you have been through Med school already, would you say it's easier to get in if you apply during the off times (like January) instead of during the regular time when everyone else is applying(Fall)?

Unknown said...

Hey your Osteopathic Medicine blogs is reading able.I have read your blog idea and know many thing about physiotherapy.Thanks for your most value able blog idea. Physiotherapy in Ryde