Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Paying homage to my advertisers...

I am a little perturbed that St. George's University, arguably the top Caribbean medical school, isn't displaying ads on my website. I don't even have Ross, the close number 2! I've had some love from UAG in Mexico and ASUM in Aruba. So, I'd like to thank my advertisers for their support. I can add a little credibility to UAG. It has been around for nearly 70 years and has been home to many American students studying medicine abroad. It provided many Americans who were unable to gain admission to medical school in the United States an opportunity to pursue their dreams. In fact, one of the OBGYNs in my hometown went to UAG back in the 1980's. I think the 1980's was a particularly difficult time to get into medicine because it paid well and was a well-respected profession. It still is to some degree, but not like in the 1980's!

I'd take a look their site. I like to use this forum to expose you to all of your potential options. UAG is a reputable medical school. Admissions are that you must take the pre-reqs, obtain a 3.0 GPA, and you need to take the MCAT. That's pretty much it! They offer 2 entering classes per year - August and January - and they accept a lot of students. So, your chances are pretty good. Please take a look for yourself and see if UAG is the school for you. Again, I'd like to add that if you can get into an American medical school (osteopathic included), I'd go that route. However, if you fail to gain acceptance after three tries, please consider foreign schools if you still want to be a doctor. That's all I have for now. Check back soon.

2 comments:

hello_dude88 said...

hi,

I have a question not related to caribbean schools.

Do the medical school that you attended really matter once you are a doctor i.e. would you get hired at a good hospital? I'm asking because i am debated on applying through the late application process to one out of the two medical schools in a pretty good country; however the better one is not accepting late applications. So should i wait till next year to apply to the better one (even though them both are ranked top 50ish and above in the world) or apply right now?

Thanks :)

DOClass2007 said...

The medical school you attend is not as big of a deal once you are done with training. The key is getting the residency program you want.