Saturday, July 21, 2007

UAG Medical School - Mexico

So, it's been a little while since I've posted to this blog. I hope people are still visiting and exploring their options for medical school. As you know, if you've been reading this blog's previous posts, I'm a recent graduate of an osteopathic medical school here in the US. But, I want this blog to be more than just about DO schools. I want to share your options with you as you explore medical schools. One "off-shore" school that has been around probably the longest is the UAG medical school. UAG stands for the Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara in Jalisco, Mexico. It had been the medical school of choice for many aspiring doctors in the 1970's because admissions to US school was just too darn difficult. UAG accepts US students as well as students from native Mexico. You can become fully licensed in the US and the school has many connections with US hospitals for you rotations. The school offers two entering classes per year, which is nice. They also have a rolling admissions process. According to their website, you must have the "usual" pre-reqs in addition to a 3.0 GPA. Granted, that is what they say, but I know of people with less than a 3.0 GPA and they got accepted. The school also requires that you at least SIT for the MCAT. So, it's definately an option if you did poorly on the MCAT. The admissions committee will look at each applicant in terms of their past experiences and they maintain "the broadest range of evaluation criteria". The only downside to this school is that it is five years instead of the usual four, but I'm pretty sure that includes the fifth pathway year. On their website, you can find a complete listing of residency matches. Please take a look at UAG medical school as an option for your medical education.

7 comments:

admin said...

what i do if want enter the school?and how much school fee?
www.newmeditec.blogspot.com

Bubbles said...

What are my chances of getting into a DO school with an MCAT score of 21?

Sporklinger said...

I am an older premed student, and am weighing the options of applying a 3rd time to med school. The previous times I did not apply to D.O. Schools, but this time I am.

Thanks for your post. I do not know what to make of the U.S. medical school environment. I have a 3.95 gpa, am a member of PhiBetaGamma national honor society, got a 26N on the MCAT, have traveled to China to conduct research on an SNP I think I discovered, (a point mutation on Chromosome 3, the GPX1 gene) and before I wanted to be a doctor I was a missionary. I have recommendations from Docs at M.D. Anderson in Houston, as well as from my university (Univ. of Houston). Yet, I have never gotten an interview. This is even more frustrating since one of my classmates who scored a 19 on the MCAT and hasn't done my level of research got interviews last year. He did give up after 2 tries.

I believe (but would very much like to be proved wrong) that U.S. med schools are looking only at MCAT scores right now. With a huge influx of foreign science students from China, Pakistan, and India, MCAT scores are at an all-time high. Baylor, for example now has a median score of 39, which is insane. So, any advice is appreciated. I don't know that I can score all that much higher on the MCAT and since I am an older student, I can't pick up and move to Mexico.

Cheers.

DOClass2007 said...

Mustika,
Honestly, just apply. UAG has more lax standards that most schools. I believe their GPA requirement is 3.0, but I know of people with lower stats.

Bubbles,
An MCAT of 21 won't keep you out as long as the rest of your application is up to snuff.

Sporklinger,
It's kind of a crap shoot. Numbers wise, you're right, you are qualified enough. Apply to DO schools too. Keep trying, you'll get in somewhere. Also, make sure you polish your interview skills.

Sporklinger said...

Thanks much for the comments and best wishes on your career in medicine.

Sporky

JOE PHILIP said...

Established in 1997, St. Gregorious Edu-Guidance is a leading education consultancy services providing exemplary service to students all over India. We deal in Admissions to all major professional courses in Premier Institutes across India. We are your one step solution for all career related needs, it may be MD, MBBS BE, BTech (ALL BRANCHES), , MDS, BDS, BPharm, BArch, MBA, MTech, MS, , PhD or any other courses. We provide personalized career solutions on an individual basis keeping in mind the aspirations of our client as well as the affordability factor.
FOR ALL CAREER RELATED NEEDS CONTACT US :
St. Gregorious Edu-Guidance,
#2, 2nd Floor,
J J Complex, Above Chemmannur Jewellers,
Marthahalli - P O,
Bangalore - 560037
Karnataka
e-mail :jojishpaily@gmail.com
Contact: +919448516637
+91 9886089896, +91 9449009983
080-32416570, 41719562

Unknown said...

Hi,
TEAMS Technion American Medical Students Program is a foreign medical school in Israel for United States and Canadian students. The international medical school blends an American foreign medical school program with smaller classes, clinical experience and in-depth study and offers M.D. and Ph.D. degrees. US students are eligible for US Federal Loans.
http://teams.technion.ac.il/
Yours,
Steve