Friday, November 30, 2007

Nephrology here I come!

Greetings once again! I just wanted to drop a quick post stating that I have chosen Nephrology as my final career choice. In fact, it sounds like I have a job offer already for AFTER fellowship! I am so pumped! Anyways, I just want this to be inspirational for those of you out there trying to get into medical school. I definately was not the BEST applicant by far! I was an academic reject coming out of high school. I think I had a 2.2 or 2.4 GPA. Either way, my GPA sucked! I went to a local community college because a.) I was poor and b.) I needed to prove it to myself that I could handle the "college workload". I did well at the CC and transfer to a "real college" where I continued to do well. I took the MCATs, which I won't brag about here, but they weren't good at all! I worked hard, persevered. Thankfully, I was one of the lucky ones! I got into a DO school here in the states and will be pursuing a career as an interventional nephrologist! Pretty cool, huh? I just want all of you out there to keep my story in mind. I had no connections, no help. I basically did it from nothing and now I'm in residency! It truly is an unbelievable feeling!! I wish you all out there similar success. I'd love to hear your success stories or if this blog has helped you in any way!

Sincerely,

DOClass2007

2 comments:

fauxLAhipster said...

congrats on making it! it's great to hear your story and all your posts about options out there for ppl who may not have the stellar numbers needed for a US med schools these days.

i found your blog while googling for info on caribbean med schools.

keep us posted - wish you the best!

Unknown said...

I was wondering if you could offer some advice.. I am going to be a junior in college and have a GPA of 2.6. By the end of senior year I would like to raise that to 3.0. My science grades are all C's (even after retaking two classes because I failed them). My counselor is saying that it is possible for me to apply to D.O. schools this year, however, I believe I should take a year off and strengthen my application. What would you suggest? Any comments would be helpful. Thank you!