Saturday, February 23, 2008

Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine




Ya know,
With all this talk of foreign schools, I've seemed to have neglected my Alma mater - OUCOM. I loved OU! I tried to post about other schools because I didn't want to be all about DO or all about OUCOM. But, I feel like I'm not doing my old stomping grounds justice.

OU is located in Athens, which is about 70 miles Southeast of Columbus. You attend classes your first two years on the main campus of Ohio University. The next two years are spent at one of 12 CORE hospitals around the state. During your fourth year you can do electives at select hospitals of your choice. I felt like OUCOM prepared me well for residency. Also, we had many graduates getting many excellent residencies at allopathic and osteopathic institutions alike. You have access to many of Ohio University's facilities - libraries, rec centers, ice skating rinks, etc.

Surprisingly, there is stuff to do there. If you love the outdoors, this is the place to be. There are many state and national parks nearby where you can hike or camp. Shopping is hard to come by if you are a die-hard shopper. The closest shopping mall is in Parkersburg, WV which is 45 minutes away. Columbus is a little over an hour away, which has excellent shopping!! Columbus is a nice getaway on a Saturday night when you need out of Athens!

I felt like living in Athens had its advantages for the first two years because you really need to focus on your studies during that time. Step 1 is a beast! No joking here. I needed to be in a place with little distractions, but that had enough stuff around that I wouldn't be bored. OU (main campus) is also known to be a big time party school - many bars up town to celebrate after exams and boards! Looking back, I'm glad I went to OUCOM for medical school. I feel prepared for residency and I enjoyed my time there as well as made many life-long friends in the process.

Academics:
Average GPA 3.5
Average MCAT 8-9
Entering class ~100
Please feel free to ask questions about OUCOM. It's a great medical school with many great faculty members. I'd highly recommend you check them out!

P.S. If you are looking at DO schools, make sure you shadow or work with a DO and get a letter of recommendation from them! It helps even more if the DO is a graduate of your top choice school!

16 comments:

Stew said...

OUCOM is one of my top choices when I apply this year. I was glad to see your posting about it here. What's the cost of living like there? Should I expect to want to buy or rent if I went to school there?

If you wouldn't mind, check out my site that I'm working on to help people get ready for osteopathic school (http://myfuturedoctor.com). I have a school profile for OUCOM that is basically going off just what I have found on the web. Tell me if I'm way off or whether I got it right. I'd appreciate it if you could. Here's the direct link to that page: http://myfuturedoctor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60:ohiou&catid=27:school-profiles&Itemid=59

mathew said...

i have heard about Ohio university and its medical institute, i always wish to study there, thanks for some more information about it. i was preparing for it. plz do write about the medical dictionaries, i am using and searching for some online medical terminology dictionary as well.

Anonymous said...

I want to exchange link with your site:
My Blog is http://www.doctors-advices.com. Please put this link to my site, and contact me at mceselko@gmail.com and I'll put link back immediately..

PJ said...

So, OUCOM. That's one of the schools I'm most interested in as well. At this point, and it's hard to say because I haven't done rotations and clerkships so it could definitely change, but the two areas I think I'd be most interested in are neonatology and orthopaedics...I know, not remotely related. Anyway, getting a pediatrics residency, no big deal; however, getting an ortho residency is. I know that within the OUCOM Core there are numerous ortho residencies (and others). Do you know of a match list for OUCOM? How do you guys do on boards? Are students at OUCOM given preference in the Core? Thanks for your help!

Anonymous said...

Gr8 Work yaar, Lucking much more like dis from u in the future...
Thank Yu Dude!
Doctor

Unknown said...

I have heard about Ohio university and its medical institute. I am interested to study there. So thanks thanks for some more information about it.

Unknown said...

The first Medical Professionals of Tomorrow Scholarship is being held for the fall 2010 semester. Applicants must submit a 500-word essay along with their online application that explains who or what inspired them to seek out a career in healthcare. The winner of the scholarship will receive a check for $1,000 to help with tuition and other expenses.
For more information, including the full requirements and online application, please visit this page: Medical Professionals of Tomorrow Scholarship

Dave said...

I have a medical supply client interested in paying you for some exposure on your blog here. They are open to advertorials, tutorials, sitewide text links, or even having you post a product review (for a small fee if needed) for the following types of terms or products at this time:

* medical supplies
* discount medical equipment
* specific leading medical brands
etc.....

Let me know what options exist and if interested, I can send you the url of my client. We are also open to any other ideas you may have that work within your framework. Look forward to hearing back from you.

Unknown said...

This is Hannah Bevills, I am an editor with Hospital.com. We are a medical publication whose focus is geared towards promoting awareness on hospitals, including information, news, and reviews on them. Given the relevance of what you are offering from your site and what our mission is, I feel we may be able to collaborate in some way or another, I look forward to your response regarding the matter. Thanks!

Hannah Bevills
hannah.bevills@gmail.com
Hospital.com

Unknown said...

Columbus is a little over an hour away, which has excellent shopping!! Columbus is a fine escape on the major campus of Ohio University. You necessity out of Athens!

I felt like living in Athens had enough pack around that time. Shopping is also known to DO or all about OUCOM.

Surprisingly, there as well for rights. Also, we had many graduates getting many superb residencies at allopathic and boards! Looking back, I'm glad I went to OUCOM for health drill. I feel ready for the first two years because I didn't want to be all about do there. OU (main campus) is hard to come by If you honey the outside, this meeting of strange schools, I've seemed to have access too many of Ohio University's facilities - libraries, rec centers, ice skating rinks, etc. The next two existence are the majesty and citizen parks adjacent where you can trek or camp. With all this is the place to be. Step 1 is a beast! No joking here. I wanted to be in a place with little distractions, but that had its advantages for residency and I enjoyed my old stomping argument justice. The closest shopping mall is in Athens, which is 45 minutes away.

OU is located in Parkersburg, WV which is about 70 miles Southeast of 12 CORE hospitals around the assert.

If you are a die-hard punter. There are spent at one of Columbus. Nevertheless, I feel like OUCOM arranged me well as made many bars up urban to celebrate after exams and osteopathic institutions alike. I loved OU! I tried to forward about other schools because you genuinely poverty to focus on your studies during that I wouldn't be bored. During your fourth year you can do electives at select hospitals of your superior. I felt like I'm not burden my time there is substance to be a big time festivity teach - many lifelong friends in the practice. You listen program your first two living on a Saturday night when You have neglected my Alma mater - OUCOM.Regards link exchange
university admission

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

http://www.gapmedics.com/ - short term Hospital placements overseas for all pre-healthcare students

Kerja Baik said...

I have interested on your blog here. keep share. thanks

Jack blogger

Unknown said...

Nice to know about Ohio. I have heard about it. But thanks to you for describing it. Worth reading and helpful post for med students especially.

medical assistant programs Brooklyn, NY

Unknown said...

Nice man. Extremely informative post. I'll be sure to pass this along to my friends. Logistics

Unknown said...

I am quite interesting in this topic hope you will elaborate more on it in future posts.Such a very informative post.


law books