Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Introduction to pre-med students

Greetings! I am graduating from a D.O. medical school this June and I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to help educate pre-med students on the tactics needed for admission to medical school. There is much to discuss on this topic and I'd like to open it up to others who may be interested or thinking about medical school. I have spent countless hours online and reading various books on medical school admissions and I'd like to share my cumulative knowledge with you through this blog. There are many misconceptions regarding admission to medical school and I'd like to dispel as many of those as I can as well as open your eyes to other avenues for your future medical education.

Medical School admission is a difficult process - no doubt about it! Nobody said becoming a doctor was easy. I must preface this blog with if you are thinking about medical school for the glitz and glamour and high paying pizazz, you'd betting look elsewhere! Might I suggest Law school or better yet Business School where you can command six figures to start and then some. Let's face it, being a doctor today is not what it was 10, 20, or 30 years ago. Heck, even going back 4 years, you can see the changes (e.g. Medicare National Identification numbers, etc.). So, in the field of medicine with ever-increasing malpractice, overhead costs, and decreasing reimbursement payments, you need to make sure this is something you really WANT. You had better love it!

Before I begin my "free medical school admission consultation", let me tell you a little about myself. I am a 26 year old fourth year osteopathic medical student who will be starting an internal medicine residency in July. I love talking to pre-meds, such as yourself, about getting accepted to medical school and I will try to offer what I can in order to help you succeed. I find it very satisfying and somewhat entertaining hearing what many pre-meds have said or had questions about. What I want to discuss through this blog is not "classified" information although maybe it should be because I will discuss what "really" happens and not what is traditionally found through the various array of internet forums.

2 comments:

bcarson said...

I am a 24 year old healthcare consultant (employed as such for about a year). Did an MS in Microbiology before this (challenging but rewarding experience). Currently accepted to Howard College of Medicine to begin in 2007. Do you know anything about Howard? Do you have any friends that went their? can you share their experiences? Any additional information about Howard? How do you think my previous healthcare/research experiences will shape the medical school process for me (since you have gone to school with many non-traditional students?)Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Unknown said...



GREAT post. I found this as I was writing an article, albeit from a different viewpoint, about the same thing- www.inventhistory.com

Medical Mirror
Medical Stethoscopes and Sphygmomanometers
Electronic Cigarette
Stark Hand
Thermometer
Antiseptic 1847